I. Many marriages fail and will never end in divorce.
A. A marriage fails when it fails to be what God wants it to be (Eph 5:22-29).
II. We want to do everything possible to prevent our marriages from failing - but how?
A. We must understand what causes marriages to fail.
1. We need to learn before marriage begins.
I. MARRIAGES FAIL BECAUSE THE PERSONS INVOLVED IN THEM FAIL AS PERSONS.
A. One or both partners are not living as God prescribes (Rom 3:23; 1 Tim 3:15).
1. What will you look for in a future mate - Christian? (1 Kin. 11:4).
II. MARRIAGES FAIL BECAUSE MANY DO NOT UNDERSTAND ITS COMMITMENT.
A. What are we saying in "I Do?"
1. I am taking you until death
2. I am making a permanent, unconditional surrender.
3. I am gaining liberty with stringent limitations (Rom. 7:2).
III. MARRIAGES FAIL BECAUSE OF IMMATURITY.
A. People naturally pass through stages.
1. Childhood - period of
2. Adolescence - period of seeking independence.
3. Maturity - period of interdependence (1 Cor. 7:4).
a. Judge of a family relations court: “The greatest cause of divorce is emotional adolescence.”
IV. MARRIAGES FAIL BECAUSE OF UNFAIR OR HOSTILE CRITICISM.
A. Criticism is usually a manifestation of low self-esteem - outcome is self-righteousness.
B. Criticism is habit forming.
C. Criticism shows a lack of sensitivity.
D. Criticism is not the way of Christ (Prov. 15:1).
E. Criticism can be correctly handled.
1. Is the criticism warranted?
2. Is my companion aware of the speech pattern?
V. MARRIAGES FAIL BECAUSE THERE IS A LACK OF TRUST.
A. Don't marry someone you can't trust - cheat before marriage.
B. Jealousy & mistrust will destroy a marriage.
1. Most couple will have separate interests.
C. We need to trust and be trustworthy.
VI. MARRIAGES FAIL BECAUSE OF IGNORANCE OF THE PHYSICAL ANATOMY (Gen. 1:28).
A. It is a failure on out part as parents when our children have to learn "sex education" at school or on the streets (Heb 13:4; 1 Cor 7:1-5).
VII. MARRIAGES FAIL BECAUSE MANY HAVE NOT LEARNED HOW TO RESOLVE CONFLICTS.
A. No two people think alike on every subject (Eph. 4:31).
1. Sometimes the wife wants to be
the "boss" (Eph 5:22).
2. Sometimes the husband wants to be the "dictator" (Eph 5:22).
a. 1 Pet 3:6-7
B. Learn to communicate.
1. Anger impairs judgment and impedes communication (Eph. 4:29; Col. 4:6).
VIII. MARRIAGES FAIL BECAUSE OF FINANCIAL PROBLEMS (1 Tim. 5:8; Prov. 31:27).
IX. MARRIAGES FAIL BECAUSE THE HUSBAND AND WIFE ARE NOT UNITED IN CHRIST.
A. 1 Cor 7:12-15; 1 Pet. 3:1-2; 1 Tim. 2:22
X. MARRIAGES FAIL BECAUSE THEY DO NOT CORRECTLY LOVE ONE ANOTHER (1 Cor 13:4-8).
A. True biblical love will not allow:
1. Quarreling, abuse (verbal, emotional, physical), divorce.
I. Our marriages don't have to fail.
A. But it all depends on what we will do with the truth.
This sermon contains my thoughts and material researched from other sources.
** If you have any questions or if you would like to become a Christian, please let us know.
Alan C. Cole
26th St. Church of Christ
101-26th Street Huntington, WV 25703
Phone - (304) 522-0717
E-Mail - mailto:Cole8@marshall.edu
Homepage - http://webpages.marshall.edu/www/~cole8/