In the Shadow of the Cross-Unity
I. There have always been those who causes disunity & those who sought unity.
A. Prov. 6:16-19
1. "Those who stir up trouble in a family."
a. Psa 133:1
b. Gen 13:7-8 - Abraham & Lot.
2. Grumblings, complaints & murmurings are enemies of unity.
a. Phil 2:14
II. In the shadow of the cross, unity was on Jesus' mind (John 17:20-23).
III. How can that unity be ours and remain ours? (Eph 4).
I. WALK THE WALK OF UNITY (EPH 4:1).
A. Worthy walk - "after a godly sort."
B. Called walk - "vocation, invitation" (2 Thess 2:13-17).
II. LIVE THE LIFE OF UNITY (EPH 4:2-3).
1. Lowliness - humility & modesty.
a. Attitude of mind that recognizes one's worthlessness.
b. "It is the treasure-house in which all other graces are contained."
2. Gentleness - "meekness."
3. Longsuffering - "Patience under provocation."
a. Abraham & Sarah.
4. Bearing with one another in love - bearing with the faults & shortcomings of others in the spirit of love.
1. Effort - "Endeavoring" - "giving diligence" "put forth the effort."
2. Perseverance - "To keep" - "maintain with watchful care."
3. Desire - "The unity of the Spirit" (Eph 4:30).
4. Understanding - "In the bond of peace."
III. PRESERVE THE PLATFORM OF UNITY.
A. Eph 4:4-6.
1. Unity of doctrine (2 Jn 9).
B. 1 Cor 1:10-11.
1. Unity of speach.
2. Unity of organization.
3. Unity of mind.
4. Unity of opinions.
C. Titus 3:10-11.
1. Unity of purpose (Heb 13:17).
IV. WORK THE WORKS OF UNITY (EPH 4:13-16).
A. Individual responsibilities.
B. Congregational responsibilities.
V. TALK THE TALK OF UNITY (EPH 4:29-32).
B. Example (1 Tim 4:12).
I. There is great power & potential in unity (Gen 11).
II. Let us always be united for good.
III. Let us walk in the shadow of the cross.
** If you have any questions or if you would like to become a Christian, please let us know.