The Danger of Anger
I. Song - "Angry Words"
II. 2 kinds of anger (Righteous indignation; Destructive anger).
A. Eph 4:26-27, 31-32; Col 3:8
III. We will be discussing sinful anger.
A. Do we understand that anger is sin (Gal 5:19-21)?
I. ANGER DESTROYS FAMILIES (GEN. 4:1-9).
A. Anger is a child of jealousy (Js 4:1-3).
1. Jealous over money, knowledge & position.
B. Anger is an assassin of love.
1. Where there is Xian love, there is no anger (1 Cor 13:4-8; Jn 13:34-35).
C. Anger is a separator of homes.
1. Husband & wife (Eph 5:22, 25).
2. Parents & children (Eph 6:1, 4).
II. ANGER DESTROYS NATIONS (EXO 5:1-7; 14:5-8).
A. Anger hardens hearts
1. Will not listen (Prov 14:29).
2. Will not believe.
3. Will not obey.
B. Anger jeopardizes lives.
1. Others' anger hurts us.
a. Road rage (Rom 12:20-21).
b. Violence (Robberies, teenagers, adults).
c. Abuse (Spousal, child, elderly)
2. Our anger hurts us.
a. Rom 12:9-16.
C. Anger displeases the Lord (Mat 5:21-26).
III. ANGER DESTROYS CHURCHES (1 COR 6:1-10).
A. Anger divides brethren.
1. We are to be united, encouragers, brethren (Gen 13 - Lot).
B. Anger destroys influence.
1. Light to the world.
2. Pattern to the world (Js 1:19-20).
3. Sedative to the world (Prov 15:1).
C. Anger hinders work (Phil 4:1-3).
1. Anger redirects, re-prioritizes, halts.
IV. ANGER DESTROYS INDIVIDUALS (1 KI 19:1-3; 2 KI 9:30-35).
A. Anger consumes individuals (Prov 20:2).
1. We become negative (blowing, rolling our eyes, shaking our heads).
2. We become defensive.
3. We become mean.
4. We become lonely (Prov 22:24).
B. Anger alters thinking.
1. Revenge vs. Reverence (Rom 12:19).
2. Yelling vs. Yielding (Prov 19:11).
3. Provocation vs. Peace (Prov 29:22).
C. Anger changes moods (Moody, unstable, grouchy (Eccl 7:9).
I. We can learn to control our anger.
A. By exercising self-control (Gal 5:23).
B. By being kind (Eph 4:32).
C. By talking privately (Matt 18:15).
D. By not seeking revenge (Rom 12:19).
E. By seeking the help of others (Gal 6:2).
F. By prayer (Matt 5:44).
G. By forgiveness (Lk 17:3-4).
H. By love (Matt 5:43-48).
I. By being positive (1 Cor 13:7).
** If you have any questions or if you would like to become a Christian, please let us know.